THE BENEFITS OF RECYCLING
Recycling reduces the amount of waste that goes to landfills and produces revenue for our city.
In addition to reducing waste, recycling also:
Recycling one aluminum can saves as much electricity as it takes to run a television for three hours.
Conserves Natural Resources:
Recycling a four-foot stack of the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper produces as much paper pulp as a 40-foot pine tree. Glass bottles and jars can be used to replace high grade sand, soda ash, limestone and feldspar in making new bottles.
Improves the Environment:
Pollutants from manufacturing processes are reduced through recycling--50% for paper
and 90% for aluminum
Strengthens the Economy:
Reclaiming resources from our waste puts money back into the local economy and provides many jobs in the recycling industry.
What can I recycle in Lexington?
WATCH A VIDEO REPORT
- Boxboard, e.g. cereal, cracker, cake mix, spaghetti, etc., boxes (remove the lining)
- Brown paper bags
- Corrugated cardboard (remove any packing material)
- Newspapers, with inserts
- Office and school papers
- Phone books
- Unwanted mail, fliers & door hangers
- Aerosol (hair spray, etc.- Empty!)
- Aluminum soda & beer cans
- Steel food cans (Please rinse; labels can stay on)
- Bottles and jugs only, e.g. soda, milk, water, juice, detergent, bleach, and fabric softener. Caps should be removed.
- Blue, brown, clear and green bottles and jars go into the Rosie with other recyclables
- No Pyrex, ceramics or plate glass
What can I not recycle in Lexington?
- Beverage and refrigerated packaging, e.g. soft drink carrier cases and frozen-food boxes
- Plastic store bags (return to grocery stores)
- Styrofoam containers
DOWNLOAD A RECYLING FLYER:
NEED A ROSIE CART?
Residents and businesses with city refuse collection may request a Rosie by either calling LexCall at 3-1-1 or clicking here.
Schools that are interested in starting a recycling program, should call 425-2255 or send an email for more information.
If you are interested in recycling corrugated cardboard or other items at your business please contact us at 425-2255 or send an email for more information.
LIVE GREEN LEXINGTON PARTNER PROGRAM:
Learn how your business, school or apartment can gain recognition through the Live Green Lexington Partner Program and Bluegrass Greensource. You can be a LiveGreenLexington Partner by committing to recycle and reduce waste, improve water quality, and increase energy efficiency.