What can I recycle in Lexington?
- Boxboard, e.g. cereal, cracker, cake-mix, spaghetti, etc., boxes (remove the lining)
- Brown paper bags
- Corrugated cardboard (remove any packing material)
- Newspapers, with inserts
- Office and school papers
- Phone books
- Unwanted mail, fliers, & door hangers
- Aerosol (hair spray, etc.- Empty!)
- Aluminum soda & beer cans
- Steel food cans (Please rinse; labels can stay on)
- Bottles and jugs only, e.g. soda, milk, water, juice, detergent, bleach, and fabric softener
- Blue, brown, clear and green bottles and jars go into the Rosie with other recyclables
- No Pyrex, ceramics or plate glass
What can I not recycle in Lexington?
- Beverage and refrigerated packaging, e.g. soft drink carrier cases and frozen-food boxes
- Plastic store bags (return to grocery stores)
- Styrofoam containers
DOWNLOAD A RECYLING FLYER:
What to do when you have an item that will not fit in your Herbie.
The city will pick up tires from your residence under certain conditions.
Organic material from yards: grass clippings, leaves, shrub trimmings, and tree limbs.
The city will pick up small animals.
Arrange a special pick-up for appliances such as air conditioners, freezers, refrigerators, water heaters, washers, dryers, stoves, furnaces, etc.
The electronics recycling drop-off center accepts residential electronics waste Monday through Saturday.
RECYCLING DROP-OFF LOCATIONS:
Those not receiving city recycling services but who wish to be good stewards of the environment can take recyclable materials to these locations.
NEED A ROSIE CART?
Residents and businesses with city refuse collection may request a Rosie by either calling LexCall at 3-1-1 or clicking here.
Schools who are interested in starting a recycling program, please call 425-2255 or send an email for more information.
If you are interested in recycling your corrugated cardboard or other items at your business please contact us at 425-2255 or send an email for more information.
LIVE GREEN LEXINGTON PARTNER PROGRAM:
Learn how your business, school or apartment can gain recognition through the Live Green Lexington Partner Program and Bluegrass PRIDE. You can be a Wastebuster Partner by committing to recycle and reduce waste.